Through intensive and rigorous language instruction, the Japanese Program at the University of Chicago aims to build in our students a solid foundation for speaking, comprehending, reading and writing the Japanese language, and through learning the language to enhance their understanding of the Japanese people, culture, and society. These practical language skills and deep cultural understanding will empower our students to pursue their professional and academical goals after graduation.
We have the Japanese Language Table every Tuesday from 12:30 to 1:30 at the student lounge in WB
1. Learning resources
NIHONGO eな http://nihongo-e-na.com/
Kanji alive https://kanjialive.com/
Official Study Abroad Program of the University of Chicago
1. Kyoto Consortium for the Japanese Studies: direct enrollment http://study-abroad.uchicago.edu/programs/kcjs. At least one year of the Japanese study is required. Please contact Eric Benjaminson email@example.com for further information.
2. The Global Leadership Fellows Program (GLFP) at Waseda University: direct enrollment http://study-abroad.uchicago.edu/programs/tokyo-waseda-university. No knowledge of the Japanese is required. Please contact Eric Benjaminson firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
1. CEAS (The Center for East Asian Studies)
Undergraduate Funding and Prizes https://ceas.uchicago.edu/page/undergraduate-funding-and-prizes
Graduate Grants and Fellowships Administrated by CEAS https://ceas.uchicago.edu/page/grants-and-fellowships
2. Study Abroad
Foreign Language Acquisition Grant (FLAG) for undergraduate students https://study-abroad.uchicago.edu/programs/foreign-language-acquisition-grant-flag
Summer International Travel Grants (SITG) [undergraduate] https://study-abroad.uchicago.edu/sitg
Foreign Language Area Studies (FLAS) Summer and Academic Year Fellowships [graduate] https://grad.uchicago.edu/fellowship/foreign-language-area-studies-flas-summer-and-academic-year-fellowships/
3. Critical Language Scholarship Program [undergraduate] https://ccrf.uchicago.edu/opportunity/critical-language-scholarship-program
Critical Language Scholarship program [graduate] https://grad.uchicago.edu/fellowship/critical-language-scholarship/
4. Boren scholarship for Critical Language Study [undergraduate] https://ccrf.uchicago.edu/opportunity/boren-scholarship-critical-language-study
5. Summer Language Scholarship https://summerlanguages.uchicago.edu/page/summer-language-scholarship
6. Fulbright US Students Programs http://ccrf.uchicago.edu/node/2262
7. Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship https://ccrf.uchicago.edu/opportunity/benjamin-gilman-international-scholarship
For new undergraduate students:
If you have studied Japanese before, you need to take the Placement test. Please contact Catherine Baumann email@example.com.
For new graduate students: You need to contact Catherine Baumann firstname.lastname@example.org to take the Placement test. After taking the Placement test, you will need to have an oral interview and a writing test so please contact Harumi Lory email@example.com.
New Student Advising
Language Competency https://newstudentadvising.uchicago.edu/language-competency
Placement & AP Test Languages https://newstudentadvising.uchicago.edu/placement-ap-tests#Language%20Placement%C2%A0
Language Competency http://college.uchicago.edu/academics/language-competency
Advanced Language Proficiency https://college.uchicago.edu/academics/advanced-language-proficiency
Office of Language Assessment
College Language Competency Assessment (CLCA) https://languageassessment.uchicago.edu/page/college-language-competency-assessment-clca
Foreign Language Proficiency Certificates Office of Language Assessment https://languageassessment.uchicago.edu/page/foreign-language-proficiency-certificates
Academic Reading Comprehension Assessment Office of Language Assessment http://languageassessment.uchicago.edu/page/academic-reading-comprehension-assessment
University of Chicago Language Center
Placement Tests for Language Study https://languages.uchicago.edu/Students/students_proficiency.php
If you have any questions, please contact Harumi Lory (firstname.lastname@example.org)